I decided to make up my own recipe for a healthy quiche after searching and only coming up with recipes that called for a lot of cheese, bread crumbs, and pie crust. I really wanted to see if I could use greek yogurt as a substitute for most of the cheese. I’m happy to say it worked like a charm. The greek yogurt provided a creamy consistency, and by skipping the pie crust all together, this quiche is much healthier than all the other recipes out there. Plus, it makes great leftovers. I ate it for lunch the next day wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup of spinach, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 whole eggs, beaten
- 3 egg whites
- 6 oz greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 hot italian sausage links
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.
- Remove sausage from casings, brown in pan and crumble. When cooked through, set aside.
- Heat oil in the same large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Add chopped zucchini and continue to stir occasionally for about 3 or 4 minutes. Stir in spinach, allow to wilt, about 1 minute. Stir in sausage.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, yogurt, cheese, salt and pepper. Add spinach mixture and stir to blend. Scoop into prepared pie pan. Arrange thin slices of tomato on top of quiche.
- Bake in preheated oven until eggs have set, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.